- The domestic retail share of the GDP is 11%.
- It gives jobs to 1.2Million people, the equivalent of 12.8% of the Moroccan active population.
- In the last decade, new retail modes appeared, more specifically franchise networks and distribution.
Plan Rawaj aims at boosting and dynamizing the domestic retail, and focuses on four aspects:
- Independent retail
- Network retail and franchise
- Public trade spaces under the responsibility of the local commune.
Plan Rawaj vision 2020 aims at:
- Making Morocco a shopping platform with offers that suits all consumers’ needs.
- Modernize the street retail (usage of labels, purchase centers, retailers on one network…)
- Contribute to the emergence of national champions (assisting national operators for the creation and the development of retail networks).
- Implementation of 600 large and medium areas by 2020, with over 50 hypermarkets creating about 80,000 jobs.
- Creating 15 malls sheltering over 3000 franchise shops modern retail, and creating over 21,000 jobs.
- Creating 15 outlets, discount stores factory shops creating ??? jobs.
- Increase the retail GDP to reach 98 Billion dirhams.
- Increase the share of the retail in the national GDP to 12.5%.
- Increase the yearly sector growth to 8%.